Presence

Presence.

I write the word on a sticky note and stick it to my new desk in my new dorm at the beginning of a new school year. I also write it on my heart as I realize the depth of its meaning for me.

As "nerdy" as it might be, I tend to create themes for the different seasons of my life. So right now, as I begin my senior year and last year at Harding, the word "presence" seems to sum up my spiritual theme.

I am at a point in my relationship with the Lord where I am desiring His presence more than anything else. Psalm 84 is one of my favorite Scriptures right now because of how it speaks of the majesty and weighty worth of God's presence:

"Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked."

I am also learning that God's presence is constant, continual. I have always known that God is always with me, but I am recently learning that I can also always be with God. Every moment. Every circumstance. Saturated with God's presence. Marvelously aware that God is in every moment.

It's like those moments when you experience God so intimately that it brings tears to your eyes...only you never have to get off your knees and go back to work or homework. It is like those moments when you realize that He is so close that you can feel His breath...only you never have to leave that place.

This is the presence that I desire and that God desires for each of us.

At the same time, this word - presence - also encourages me to be present in every moment. Because it is my senior year, I want to make the most of every opportunity. I want to be intentional about being fully present in every moment. This means not always dwelling on the past or anticipating the future, but just living fully (john 10:10) in the present, whether that means eating lunch in the cafeteria with friends just like we do every sunday afternoon or taking the time to break from studying to do something crazy in Searcy where we have to create our own forms of entertainment. I want to be present with my patients on clinical days. I want to be present at every club meeting, chapel gathering, Bible study, or singing devo. This means sacrificing a little bit of perfectionism to embrace relationships, but it is so worth it. It means setting aside stress to focus on what really matters.

I write this and share this personal testimony with you to encourage all of us to practice this presence. Let's not just enter God's presence, but dwell there in every moment. And then, in response to the transforming and satisfying presence of God, let's in turn be present for the things that really matter.

Comments

  1. Ashli, thank you for encouraging me with the thought of practicing His presence in every moment of the day. I have been doing this in my prayer time - literally preparing myself to enter the heavenly realm and be there in the Holy of Holies at His feet! It has transformed my prayers and now if I could live like that - WOW! Can I steal your theme?! I want to be present in His presence all the time!!! Love you so much, xoxmom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment